This web page is designed to support the first edition of "Investment Philosophies",
printed in 2002. The publisher is John Wiley and Sons. You can navigate
site by either going to individual chapters and getting supporting material
by chapter, or by going to the supporting material directly. The supporting
- Chapter Outlines and overheads: These are saved as pdf files, and
you need Adobe Acrobat to read them. You can download Adobe Acrobat by going
to the Adobe site. (www.adobe.com) The overheads are categorized by topic,
rather than chapter. To go to overheads, click here.
- Readings: These are readings from business and academic publications
that supplement the specific topic.
- Powerpoint Presentations: These are power point presentations
that are designed for use by instructors. You will need the password to
- Spreadsheets: These are spreadsheets that supplement the topic.
They are in Microsoft Excel 95 format, and can be used on either a Mac or
- Datasets: These are the datasets referenced in each chapter. They
generally will include updated lists of firms that fit the specificed criteria
- lowest PE, highest dividend yield etc.
- References: I am deeply indebted to the many people with
far more patience than I possess who made my job easier by testing just
about anything that can be tested. This reference list contains every (I
hope) paper that I have borrowed from in writing this book.
- Some light reading: This is my must-read list... with
a little editorial commentary.
You can pick the chapter that you would like to go to, to see illustrations, solutions and other supporting material.
Or you can pick the material that you are interested in.
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Upside, Downside: Understanding Risk
Chapter 3: Numbers don't lie or do they?
Chapter 4: Show me the money: The Basics of Valuation
Chapter 5: Many a Slip: Trading, Execution and Taxes
Chapter 6: Too Good to be True: Testing Investment Strategies
Chapter 7: Smoke and Mirrors: Charting and Technical Analysis
Chapter 8: Graham's Disciples: Value Investing
Chapter 9: The Allure of Growth: Small Cap and Growth Investing
Chapter 10: Information Pays: Trading on News
Chapter 11: A Sure Profit: The Essence of Arbitrage
Chapter 12: The Impossible Dream? Timing the Market
Chapter 13: Ready to Give Up? The Allure of Indexing
Chapter 14: A Road Map to Choosing an Investment Philosophy
||Download as pdf