Professor of Marketing
Stern School of Business
40 West 4th Street, Room 809
New York, NY 10012
- Ph.D., Marketing, New York University, 1994
- M. Phil., Marketing, New York University, 1993
- M.B.A., Marketing and Finance, Indian Institue of Management, Ahmedabad, India, 1985
- B.A., Economics, Honors, St. Stephen's College, Delhi University, 1983
Honors & Awards
- Mary C. Jacoby Fellow, New York University, 2008
- Chaired Full Professorship, University of California at Berkeley, 2007
- Presidential Chair Fellow, University of California at Berkeley, 2003-2004
- Cheit Award of Teaching Excellence, Honorable Mention, 2001-2002
- Invited Faculty, AMA Doctoral Consortium: 2002, 2005, 2006
- Invited Faculty, ACR Doctoral Consortium: 2004, 2006
- Invited Faculty: Marketing Science Institute Young Scholar program, Jan 2001, 2006
- Hellman Family Fund Grant, University of California at Berkeley, 2000
- Schwabacher Fellow, University of California at Berkeley, 2000-2001
- Stern School Outstanding Teacher Award, New York University, 1994
- Beta Gamma Sigma, 1993
- George Burton Hotchkiss Fellowship, New York University, 1993
- Doctoral Fellowship in Marketing, New York University, 1991 - 1993
- Industry Scholarship at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, 1985
- Delhi University Gold Medal for Economics, 1983
- Gold Medal for Ranking 1st in the All India Senior School Examination, 1980
- National Talent Scholarship, 1978-1985 (awarded to 150 students per
year in India)
- Consumer psychology, including survey methods,
psychological aspects of prices and money
- Risk perceptions
- Visual information processing
- Raghubir, Priya, Vicki G. Morwitz and Amitav Chakravarti (2011), "Spatial Categorization and Time Perception:
Does it Take Less Time to Get Home?" forthcoming, Journal of Consumer Psychology, April.
- Raghubir, Priya and Sanjiv Das (2010) "The Long and Short of it: Why
are Stocks with Shorter Runs preferred?", Journal of Consumer Research, 36(6), April.
- Raghubir, Priya and Ana Valenzuela (2010) "Male Female Dynamics in Groups:
A Field Study of "The Weakest Link," Small Group Research, February.
- Raghubir, Priya and Joydeep Srivastava (2009) "The Denomination Effect," Journal of Consumer
- Valenzuela, Ana and Priya Raghubir (2009), "Position Based
Schemas: The Center-Stage Effect", Journal of Consumer Psychology April.
- Ofir, Chezy, Priya Raghubir, Gili Brosh, Kent B. Monroe, and
Amir Heiman (2008), "Memory-Based Store Price Judgments: The Role of
Knowledge and Shopping Experience", Journal of Retailing, 84(4), December, 414-423.
- Raghubir,Priya and Joydeep Srivastava (2008) "Monopoly Money: The Effect of Payment Coupling and Form on Spending Behavior," Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 14(3), September, 213-225.
- Valenzuela, Ana and Priya Raghubir (2007), "The Role of Strategy in Mixed-Gender Group Interactions: A Study of the Television Show The Weakest Link," Sex Roles: A Journal of Research, 57 (3&4), August, 293-303.
- Priya Raghubir (2006), "An information
processing review of the subjective value of money and
of Business Research, 59(10-11), October, 1053-1062
- Raghubir, Priya, and Eric Greenleaf (2006), "Ratios
in Proportion: What should be the shape of the Package?Journal of
Marketing, 70(2), April, 95-107.
- Raghubir, Priya, and Ana Valenzuela (2006),"Center
of Inattention: Position Biases in Decision
Making",Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes,
99(1), January, 66-80.
- Yang, Sha and Priya Raghubir (2006), "Can
Bottles Speak Volumes? The Effect of Package Shape on How Much to
Buy", Journal of Retailing, 81(4), 269-282.
- Menon, Geeta, and Priya Raghubir (2006), "When
and Why is Ease-of-Retrieval Informative", Memory and
Cognition, 33(July), 5, 821-832.
- Raghubir, Priya, and Geeta Menon (2006),
"Depressed or Just Blue? The Persuasive Effects of a Self-Diagnosis
Inventory", Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 35(12),
- Lin, Ying Ching, and Priya Raghubir (2006), "Gender
differences in unrealistic optimism about marriage and divorce: Are men
more optimistic and women more realistic?", Personality and Social
Psychology Bulletin, 31(2), February, 1-10.
- Raghubir, Priya (2005), "Framing
a Price Bundle: The Case of Buy/ Get Offers", Journal of Product
and Brand Management: Special issue on Pricing, 14(3), June, 123-128.
- Raghubir, Priya, J. Jeffrey Inman, and Hans Grande (2004), "The
Three Faces of Price Promotions: Economic, Informative and Affective,"
California Management Review, 46 (4), Summer, 1-19.
- Raghubir, Priya (2004) "Coupons
in Context: Discounting Prices or Decreasing Sales?", Journal of
Retailing, 80(1), January, 1-12.
- Raghubir, Priya (2004)
"Free Gift with Purchase: Promoting or Discounting the Brand?",
Journal of Consumer Psychology, 14(1&2), January, 181-185.
- Lin, Chien-Huang, Ying Ching Lin and Priya Raghubir (2003) "The
Interaction between Order of Elicitation and Event Controllability on the
Self-Positivity Bias,", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.
31, Barbara Kahn and Mary Frances Luce, Eds. Provo, UT: Association for
- Lin, Ying Ching, Lin, Chien-Huang, and Priya Raghubir (2003), "Avoiding
Anxiety, Being in Denial or Simply Stroking Self-Esteem: Why
Self-Positivity?," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 13(4),
- Menon, Geeta, and Priya Raghubir (2003), "Ease-of-Retrieval
as an Automatic Input in Judgments: A Mere Accessibility Framework?,"
Journal of Consumer Research, 30 (2), September, 230-243.
- Raghubir, Priya, and Joydeep Srivastava (2002), "Effect
of Face Value on Monetary Valuation in Foreign Currencies," Journal
of Consumer Research, 29(3), December, 335-347.
- Srivastava, Joydeep, and Priya Raghubir (2002), "Debiasing
Using Decomposition: The Case of Memory-Based Credit Card Expense
Estimates," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 12(3), 253-264.
- Fitzsimons, Gavan, J. Wesley Hutchinson, Patti Williams, Joseph W.
Alba, Tanya Chartrand, Joel Huber, Frank Kardes, Geeta Menon, Priya
Raghubir, J. Edward Russo, Baba Shiv, and Nader Tavassoli (2002), "Non-Conscious
Influences on Consumer Choice", Marketing Letters, 13 (3),
- Robert E. Krider, Priya Raghubir, and Aradhna Krishna (2001), "Pizzas:
p or Square? Psychophysical Biases in Area
Comparisons," Marketing Science, 20(4), Fall, 405-425.
- Raghubir, Priya and Geeta Menon (2001), "Framing
Effects in Risk Perceptions of AIDS," Marketing Letters, 12
- Raghubir, Priya, and Sanjiv R. Das (1999), "The
Psychology of Financial Decision Making: A Case for Theory-Driven
Experimental Inquiry," Financial Analysts Journal (Special
Issue on Behavioral Finance), November, 56-80.
- Raghubir, Priya and Gita Venkataramani Johar (1999), "Hong
Kong 1997 in Context," Public Opinion Quarterly, vol. 63,
- Raghubir, Priya and Aradhna Krishna (1999), "Vital
Dimensions: Biases in Volume Estimates," Journal of Marketing
Research, Vol. XXXVI (August), 313-326.
- Raghubir, Priya and Kim P. Corfman (1999), "When
do Price Promotions Affect Brand Evaluations?" Journal of
Marketing Research, Vol. XXXVI (May), 211-222.
- Raghubir, Priya (1998), "Coupon
Value: A Signal for Price?" Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.
35(3), August, 316-324.
- Raghubir, Priya, and Geeta Menon (1998), "AIDS
and Me, Never the Twain Shall Meet: Factors Affecting Judgments of Risk,"
Journal of Consumer Research, 25(1), June, 52-63.
- Menon, Geeta, Priya Raghubir, and Norbert Schwarz (1997), "How
Much Will I Spend? Factors affecting Consumers' Estimates of Future
Expense," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 6 (2), 141-164.
- Krishna, Aradhna, and Priya Raghubir (1997), "The
Effect of Euclidean Length Between the End-Points of a Line on Perceived
Numerosity of the Line," Memory and Cognition, Vol. 25 (July),
- Inman, J. Jeffrey, Anil C. Peter, and Priya Raghubir (1997), "Framing
the Deal: The Role of Restrictions in Accentuating Deal Value,"
Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 24, No: 1 (June), 68-79.
- Raghubir, Priya and Geeta Menon (1996), "Counterbiasing
Methods for Asking Sensitive Questions: The Effects of Type of Referent
and Frequency Wording," Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 13,
Issue 7 (October), 633-652.
- Raghubir, Priya, and Aradhna Krishna (1996), "As
the Crow Flies: Bias in Consumers' Map-Based Distance Judgments,"
Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 23, No: 1 (June), 26-39.
- Menon, Geeta, Priya Raghubir, and Norbert Schwarz (1995), "Behavioral
Frequency Judgments: An Accessibility-Diagnosticity Framework,"
Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 22, No: 2 (September), 212-228.